What is in a list? Why are Twitter lists so useful? When should you use Twitter lists. How do you leverage list building on Twitter? All of these questions should be asked before a person creates their Twitter account. Yet, very few people consider the list feature for anything other than keeping brands or people grouped together. There is more to it than that, let’s take a look.
Perception of Out of Balance Twitter Accounts
One of the most common strategies many users choose is utilizing an automated paid tool to add Twitter followers. Although this is a method that allows you to add hundreds even thousands of followers in a very short time, it is not the most effective strategy. Instant Twitter followings, when you have very few tweets, is a signal to every user that the account is either a ‘bot or an account that most likely was setup to mass blast broadcast sales tweets.
How to Use Twitter Lists to Launch Your Twitter Account
When launching a new Twitter account the following steps will help a person avoid any perception problems:
- Niche: create lists based on keywords that describe the niche you are interested in finding. Example: If you want to promote your Mixed Martial Arts gear you could begin by creating lists like “UFC Fighters” and “MMA Fans.”
- Research: finding important information is a very valuable benefit for being on Twitter. Build lists based on keywords that describe the type of information you are seeking. Example: If you want to find information on yoga you could build lists like “Yoga Studios” and “Yoga Instructors.” Fill the lists and then monitor the tweet streams of each list for real time updated news about your target content
- Monitor: if you are just beginning your Twitter account you should vet the people or brands you are considering following. You can accomplish this review process by building lists and simply monitoring the stream of tweets. The option when you are in your list is to view tweets or the members on the list. By viewing the tweets of the people or brands in your list you begin to understand how frequently they tweet, how active they are in conversing with people, and how valuable their tweets are to your efforts. Most importantly, by not immediately monitoring the users in your list you have the opportunity to gradually add them and avoid the stigma of an account that is out of balance.
- Customer Service: if you have customers-clients on Twitter, place them in a list. By doing this, you can easily review their tweets all in one place. Twitter’s algorithm is such that you will not be able to see everyone’s tweets all the time. Building a list of your customers ensures you can see what they are writing all the time. By listing your customers, you can vet who you should follow and who is not utilizing Twitter on a consistent schedule.
- Lead Generation: building quality lists often attracts subscribers. Review these subscribers to your lists for insight- are they competitors, are they collaborators, are they prospects, are they influencers in your niche?
- Find People-Brands to Follow: once you have organized your lists and started the vetting process by monitoring the tweet stream, you are ready for the next step in launching your Twitter presence. Begin to drill down and “mine” your listed Twitter users. Review who they follow and who follows them. Finally review the lists they have built for more choices
Inner Architect is a digital marketing firm based in San Rafael, Ca. For more information on our services and for more information about social media marketing strategies, please visit us at Innerarchitect.com.
ComputerShopper.com published this deansguide article 4-7-10
[picapp align=”right” wrap=”true” link=”term=stock+ticker&iid=87642″ src=”0084/7d4dcd29-6388-4187-82e1-140399da74c3.jpg?adImageId=12172707&imageId=87642″ width=”234″ height=”351″ /]Twitter Lists are an important part of a business strategy if you want to build a viral marketing army, network, give back to your following, or monitor a person or brand. I believe this is a long overdue and over looked method of using Twitter lists: The Facebook strategy
Premise: Twitter Lists for Facebook
The premise here is to build a list(s) that showcases Twitter users that have Facebook business pages.
Twitter List for Facebook: Strategy
- Announce: broadcast you have a great Facebook page and ask your followers if they have a Facebook page they would like to share
- Collect: collect and record the Facebook urls people provide to their business page
- Segmentation: separate and segment your Facebook lists by industry, niche, customer, consumer, prosect, affiliated business, geographic, associations and other filters pertinent to your business
- Gratitude: build your lists much like the gratitude lists that keep popping up, a list that showcases Facebook page urls provide value
- List Message: when naming your list fill in added description box with the instructions-“Tweet ur Facebook page url for followers to see”
- Requirement: only list those people or businesses that have a Facebook page and require that person or company to tweet their Facebook page url at least 1x per week
Twitter List For Facebook: Benefits
- Resource: a list of Facebook page owners available to your following
- Networking: list to help others become fans and connect with other Facebook business pages
- Research: another place to find Facebook pages that contain research information
- Monitor: help people or companies monitor other brands
- Eliminate DM: if enough people adopted this strategy, it could render the useless spam DM announcing a Facebook page url
- #FacebookFri: adopt a new hashtag event that allows people to recommend their favorite Facebook business pages- more on this tomorrow
[picapp align=”right” wrap=”true” link=”term=James+Bond&iid=4182020″ src=”4/4/e/4/Sean_Connery_745a.jpg?adImageId=12101624&imageId=4182020″ width=”234″ height=”326″ /]Twitter lists are an important strategic tool that allows users to completely leverage the power of the most influential lead generating social network available today. The following is an outline of one of my Twitter list strategies.
Twitter List Strategy: Monitor
Prerequisite: In the Monitor strategy, the Twitter user should already have built a number of lists that segment the people and companies they follow. These lists would include prospects, industry peers, organizations, affiliate business partners, networking partners, and customers.
Monitor Strategy: Premise
The idea or premise behind the Monitor strategy is to set up a number of lists, or parts of current lists, that provide an effective monitoring tool for the user. The key to this strategy is the fact that Twitter users are NOT required to follow the people or companies they are listing.
Monitor Strategy: Benefits
- Monitor: Twitter users may monitor a person or company by placing them on a list without the requirement of following them in return
- Follow to Follower Ratios: without the requirement of following, Twitter users can keep their Follow vs Follower ratios 1:1
- Perception: with your Twitter Follow vs Follower ratios near 1:1 you or your company will NOT be perceived as MLM spamming or hard sell sales pitching
- Research: monitor competitors, industry leaders, consumers, customers, or breaking news agencies to learn and document your niche
- Stealth: by NOT following your monitoring target, you do NOT show up on their radar helping to remain private in your observations
- Cloak: Twitter users can hide or cloak lists by “locking” them. Locking your list will keep it private to you and away from your competitors’ prying eyes
ComputerShopper.com published this deansguide article 12-31-09
One quick, simple, and relevant Twitter strategy is to build lists. One of the easiest first steps is to build a list with all of your affiliates, parnters, or service providers. This list, much like a blog’s blogroll, allows people to see who you work with and what they do.
Tip: if all of your partner-affiliates establish Twitter accounts and build an Affiliate list with you on it, this will increase your “findability” and viral effectiveness.
Build An Affiliate List
- Showcase your affiliates
- Add value to your readers by giving them a one stop shop for service providers
- Market your affiliates to your network on Twitter by creating the Affiliates list
- Viral effectiveness is increased by the number of lists you are on; to get there you have to give first
- Links are created for each list once you have established a list
- Deliver your Affiliates list link to people you believe would benefit from your service providers by writing a tweet which includes the Affilate’s List link