The Golden Gate Computer Society is a fantastic group designed to help educate people, provide networking opportunities, and create a forum for new ideas and trends in the computer industry. Keeping with it’s long standing practice of presenting important speakers and information, tonight’s event, at the Four Points Sheraton Hotel in San Rafael, showcases Tony Stubblebine of Crowdvine. Watch the video to learn more about Tony and his innovative company:
The following tool was featured on emily chang’s excellent site eHub. eHub is a fantastic tool for bloggers in search of content, Web 2.0 entrepreneurs looking to stay up on the latest business models, and for anyone interested in new tools that make our lives easier. Thanks go to you Emily!
Rapid access to accurate information that comes from valid sources is the key to Realtor’s staying in tuned with their market, concerns facing buyers and sellers, and proving themselves valuable resources of information. One very simple, speedy tool that delivers instant city statistical information is the site icitydata.com.
What is icitydata’s value
According to icitydata: “Overall, iCityData strives to give the common person a simple yet effective database of accurate city information.”
How Does it Work?
You can search for city information categories:
5. Zip codes
6. Area Codes
7. City Maps
Realtor Tip: City Comparisons
Visitors can also compare two cities based on the city name, zip code, or area code – a feature that proves useful for real estate agents, families looking to move, anyone planning a vacation, and more.
In a very compelling case study answering the question why businesses and entrepreneurs must utilize LinkedIn.com to it’s fullest potential, The Weather Channel recently closed a deal to acquire sites Lakerentals.com and Coastrentals.com. The WeatherChannel.com is one of the top 20 websites (traffic-visitors) in the United States outperforming Facebook, CNN.com, and the New York Times.
Case Study in Effectiveness
Steve Hassett, Vice President of New Ventures, describes the deal. Steve was contacted by the entrepreneur and owner of Lake Rentals and Coast Rentals via an Inmail. As a result of the entrepreneur’s inquiry, “we reached out and contacted him and it resulted in a successful deal” according to Hassett.
Josh Schoenberg, Director of Corporate Development, concurred: “We received the email in June and closed the deal in late August, about three months”
Linkedin Take Aways
1. Opportunity: According to Hassett “I don’t know if we would have been aware of the opportunity if I didn’t have a profile on Linkedin.”
Benefit: Awareness and opportunity are key but the other hidden benefit is the fact that Steve Hassett, by virtue of his profile placement, is networking within our Web 2.0 world.
2. Profile Building: Hassett adds “As a result of that success, I rewrote my profile to make it more of a billboard for what we are trying to do”
Benefit: A robust profile with prior experience, expertise, and job history is the beginning support. The real effectiveness comes in building the rest of your profile to reflect your role in your business, your businesses’ goals, and the type of opportunities of collaboration available with you.
3. Visibility: “LinkedIn makes professional connections visible” that is a tagline that is very important. The concept that we often can not see beyond our own connections the people and opportunities that exist is the biggest problem in networking. LinkedIn helps solve this problem by making you and your company visible to those you are unaware exist. At the same time, you have the opportunity to investigate those same connections so that you can discover the “hidden opportunities” of your network and beyond.
TGIF and watch this tour of Jose Cuervo Factory
Reuters.com published this deansguide article September 13, 2008
Tequila the official party liquor, the daddy of the fiesta, the king of the shot, and the emperor of margarita madness is actually an amazing marketing story. What makes an often, horrible smelling, difficult to describe taste that can make the eyes water and throat wretch with a gag reflex similar to food posioning the #1 fastest growing category of liquor in America according to the 2005 Adams Handbook Advance the industry standard.
Granted the premium tequila brands like Patron produce incredibly rich and smooth tasting liquors, but the majority of the tequila sales, 40% plus, are Jose Cuervo tequila of the ilk described above–rotten eggs on sandpaper.
1. Association: Tequila is the party liquor associated with fiestas, parties, food, and music. No other drink symbolizes fun, good times, beaches, and the tropics like a tequila margarita
2. Heritage: Tequila has a long history and heritage of proud producers from a passionate country, Mexico, that crafts the best tequila products in the world
3. Perception: Tequila, like the country of Mexico, symbolizes macho, hot, spicy, and power. It is perceived, and rightfully so, as the drink that is dangerous. For many people it is a brand that signifies their toughness much like a football fan who supports the Oakland Raiders. If you can hang at a Raider game, think of San Quentin at a picnic, then you are tough enough to drink tequila
4. Reputation: Everyone, at least those that drink, have a tequila story. The stories are never pretty, they are usually warning shots to friends, and yet they are told with pride. There is a legend a lore attached to this brand that people want to associate despite the taste and horrific results the drink can produce
Matrix courtesy of projectsidewalk.com/blog
If you are allowing obstacles in your mind to get in the way of performing tasks and making progress then you are suffering from procrastination problems. In networking the biggest problem to creating a networking connection is an individual’s misconception that networking is hard selling themselves, their business, products, and services.
The bridge to a business relationship will fail if the person procrastinates in their follow through after the event. Connecting and forming a business relationship is time sensitive when you begin the process. If you do not follow through with promised information in a timely manner (immediately is best), then you lose.
What’s at Stake?
- Lost Opportunity: You most likely will not get a second chance to engage and connect with your intended networking partner.
- Reputation: If you do not follow through on your word, your reputation is at stake with your intended networking partner and their circle of friends.
- Viral Marketing: If you do not follow through to connect then your inaction may be reported via word of mouth to your industry niche audience.
Tips to Help You Follow Through
- To Do List: Note what you promised to deliver your intended networking partner.
- Point of Reference: Note what stood out in your conversation that you know your intended networking partner would remember.
- Response Habit: Utilizing your point of reference, email or call your intended networking partner as soon as possible (within reason) thanking them for their time.
- Set the Next Step: end your email or phone call with a next step. Examples would be to ask for a meeting, set a time to deliver your value as you promised, or invite them to an industry event. Be creative here.
- Document: Document your initial efforts to build your connection into a business relationship. Measure what worked, what did not work, and the process involved.
Ziff Davis Enterprise published this deansguide article August 25, 2008
Apparently my words have not fallen on deaf ears in my ongoing fight to have countrychasehomes.com de-indexed and removed from Google Search forever. Joe Wilcox respected journalist for Ziff Davis Enterprises and the columnist for “Microsoft Watch” decided to print my article announcing my plans to attempt to have countrychasehomes removed from Google. See article here
In the meantime my last three articles on networking and the Sausalito Art Festival have been scraped and placed on the splog site-with no end in sight to their continual robbery.
1. Reported splogger to their host
2. Completing DMCA form for submission to host
3. Reported splogger to Google’s Spam Department
4. Written 5 articles, 3 here on AR, 2 on deansguide denouncing splogger; one article now being run by global mass media site
5. Reported splogger to WordPress.com as a warning to other WordPress users
Sausalito 2008 Festival Poster “Drive-Thru Gallery” Thomas Barbey
The Sausalito Art Festival in beautiful Sausalitio, California is the premiere Art Festival in the United States. As usual 2008 will be a banner year for music, entertainment, and artwork from a world class group of artist. Although I have been many times and seen talent like Santana, Los Lobos, War, Journey, the Starship, Sammy Hagar, Todd Rundgren, Jerry Garcia, Phil Lesch, Marshall Tucker Band, and the Doobie Brothers to name a few.
When: Labor Day Weekend Saturday Aug 30 9-6pm; Sunday Aug 31 9-6pm; and Monday Sept 1 9-5pm
Artists and Exhibitors: page
Musical Entertainment: page
One of my favorite performances from Sausalito 2007 was turned and burned in by Quicksilver Messenger Service:
This year the music is happening Sunday with Al Stewart, of “Year of the Cat” fame and 1970s pop icon, opening with Commander Cody, and headliner the Neville Brothers.
The following video is a tribute to my favorite cartoonist Phil Frank the creator of “Farley”; Phil passed away but remains the heart and soul of Sausalito to this day