Reuters.com published this deansguide article September 2, 2008
What exactly is the definition for the word “branding”? We are talking about creating an aura, a perception, and a truth about a person, service, or product that allows people to identify and recognize them instantly.
Branding according to Whatis.techtarget.com definition
Branding “You” What Are You Waiting For?
You spend a lifetime promoting your employer, their products, and their services. You derive your substance factor from your experiences. Is it not about time you tell the world about you and why you are special?
Tips To Branding “You”
1. Recognize: You are a brand. You have recognizable qualities and you must consider yourself special in order to promote your unique qualities
2. Begin the Shift: Recognize you are worthy of brand recognition and begin to shift the emphasis to your qualities and differentiating factors that make you unique. Why are you so effective? How can you deliver value? Begin to market you as the source
3. Education to Expertise: in order to become a brand, you must be knowledgeable in your niche. Gain confidence and expertise by studying and learning about your business from mentors, online resources, workshops, seminars, and books. Building your knowledge base builds confidence in you as well as your potential clients
4. Writing Platform: create a writing platform with the goal of establishing your own blog within a 3-6 month period. The following are places to start:
a.) Submit articles to ezinearticles.com
b.) Create a newsletter
c.) Become a contributor to a blog
d.) Ask to contribute to a newsletter or local newspaper
5. Public Speaking Platform: Create a workshop or speech aimed at providing value to your audience.
a.) Ask to represent your company at local meetings or conferences. Work up to bigger venues
b.) Ask to speak at your Kiwanis Club, Rotary, or Chamber of Commerce
c.) Create a Free workshop for you affiliate partners
d.) Join a industry organization and submit your request to speak
The best strategy to support your career as an entrepreneur or as an employee of a company is to create the brand of “You.” In so doing, you become recognizable to both potential clients and potential employers.
Your entrepreneurial business is positively effected when potential clients know you, like your brand (You), and understand the value you bring to the table
Your employer’s business is positively effected when customers know you, trust you as their “brand”, and understand the value you bring to the organization you are working for with the client’s best interests in mind