Joshua Topolsky wrote a great, straight forward review of the iPad for mega tech magazine Engadget “Apple iPad First Hands-On!” that provides readers food for thought. This is not a gushing Applehead review but something everyone should analyze before buying the iPad. Rather than regurgitating Joshua’s points, I am going to give them to you along with my commentary when applicable.
Topolsky’s iPad Review
- It’s not light. It feels pretty weighty in your hand. dg: it’s tough to beat the weight of an iPhone
- The screen is stunning, and it’s 1024 x 768. Feels just like a huge iPhone in your hands.
- The speed of the CPU is something to be marveled at. It is blazingly fast from what we can tell. Webpages loaded up super fast, and scrolling was without a hiccup. Moving into and out of apps was a breeze. Everything flew.
- There’s no multitasking at all. It’s a real disappointment. All this power and very little you can do with it at once. No multitasking means no streaming Pandora when you’re working in Pages… you can figure it out. It’s a real setback for this device. dg: Bad news for bloggers who need an easy to use writing device bigger than the hand cramping iPhone but “lighter” than notebooks
- The ebook implementation is about as close as you can get to reading without a stack of bound paper in your hand. The visual stuff really helps flesh out the experience. It may be just for show, but it counts here.
- No camera. None, nada. Zip. No video conferencing here folks. Hell, it doesn’t have an SMS app! dg: Absolute deal killer for content providers, bloggers, or social media directors who must add content on the go- at any time.
- It’s running iPhone OS 3.2.
- The keyboard is good, not great. Not quite as responsive as it looked in the demos. dg: this is the only point we take exception to with Joshua. I can not, nor can my colleagues, see anything but trouble when attempting to type long posts. Touch screen technology is still far removed from the tactile feel you need when accurately and quickly typing
- No Flash confirmed. So Hulu is out for you, folks!