Courtesy Penn State Facebook page
In a recent Penn State study “Tweeting is more than just self expression” Associate professor of information science and technology Jim Jansen and Abdur Chowdhury Twitter chief scientist examined 500,000 tweets to determine the messaging content. The results are very encouraging for businesses willing to view Twitter as a new marketing and sales channel in its infancy. The most important point in the study? Twitter strategies, Twitter planning, and Twitter etiquette must be formulated before a company launches their Twitter efforts.
5 Twitter Facts: Twitter Connects People to Brands, Companies, Products, Services
- 20% of the 500,000 tweets “contain requests for product information or responses to the requests” about companies and their products and service
- “People are using tweets to express their reaction, both positive and negative, as they engage with these products and services”
- “Tweets are about as close as one can get to the customer point of purchase for products and services.”
- “. . . people were using tweets to connect with the products”
- Many of the brand comments were positive and not negative as many companies initially anticipated