One of the most challenging aspects to blogging is knowing what to write and how to present the material. Many entrepreneurs, small businesses, and even large corporations do not fully leverage their own expertise as a source of content for their blogs. Why do people get sidetracked? The following is a step by step process that will help provide a beginning blogging plan developed by Susan Hanshaw CEO Inner Architect social media strategy firm and Dean Guadagni Business Director Inner Architect.
1. Blogging Purpose
What type of blog do you want to write? Choose a main purpose for your blog:
- Income: blogging for an income through advertising revenue is the toughest type of blog to create
- Breaking News: Pat Kitano’s breaking news model will change the way we find information
- Informational: become a go-to source of value by providing tips, strategies, and case studies on a particular subject
- Brand Marketing: ongoing messages focused on your brand
- Lead Generation: sales and business development focus
2. Article Formatting
The most popular articles to read by formats:
- Lists: any list whether it’s a Top 10 or Top 100 is the most popular article format
- How to: describe how to do something with tips, steps, and strategies
- Case Studies: writing that supports proof of ROI
- Best of Lists: compilation of the best articles into lists
- Interviews: compelling interviews that provide an inside look
3. What Do I Write About? 5 Questions You Must Answer
- What do you want to be known-hired for aka your expertise?
- What problems do you solve?
- How do you differentiate yourself or your business?
- Who is your audience?
- What keywords will be used to find you and your business?