Chicago Post-Tribune published this deansguide article 7-18-09
The summer of 2009 may go down as one of the most memorable times for the loss of so many influential people. Many would argue that the list of people who have passed away this summer is less than memorable. Yet we all have our favorites and what we value. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. For me, a complete fanatic of social pop culture, these people mark times and memories in my life. The people who were my peers remind me of my own vulnerability to the inevitable. With each loss, we should remember and honor in the best way possible. In no particular order:
1. Farrah Fawcet: Iconic super model actress of the 1970′s spawned an entire hairstyle and look
2. Walter Cronkite: The greatest newsman anchor who ever slipped on a microphone–period!
3. Michael Jackson: Greatest dancer, R&B singer, creative talent of my generation
4. Steve McNair: Crushing the myth of the black QB with NFL excellence
5. Ed McMahon: The Alltime 2nd banana
6. Arturo Gatti: Known for his two guns smokin style of brawling, Gatti gave his heart and soul to boxing
7. Karl Malden: A San Francisco institution right “Stevie Boy?” Streets of San Francisco loved Karl
8. Billy Mays: Pop culture pitchman, too loud but extremely sucessful in getting our attention even with the volume off!