The Golden Gate Computer Society is a fantastic group designed to help educate people, provide networking opportunities, and create a forum for new ideas and trends in the computer industry. Keeping with it’s long standing practice of presenting important speakers and information, tonight’s event, at the Four Points Sheraton Hotel in San Rafael, showcases Tony Stubblebine of Crowdvine. Watch the video to learn more about Tony and his innovative company:
Peter Kellner Silicon Valley Code Camp organizer
Reuters.com published this deansguide article 11-2-08
The 3rd Annual Silicon Valley Code Camp is one of the most intriguing and value filled events in the Valley. It is a free boot camp style event which runs November 8-9 in Los Altos Hills, California. Billed as “Put together by software developers for software developers, the Silicon Valley Code Camp is a great opportunity to learn, share, and connect”, the camp is a fantastic example of what is possible when people decide to give value and give it often.
Date-Time & Location
November 8-9 Saturday 8:00am to 8:00pm and Sunday 9:15am to 4:00pm
Foothill College, 12345 El Monte Road (Parking Lot 5), Los Altos Hills
1. Software Development: in many languages and many platforms
2. Cutting Edge Technologies: sessions include the “hottest technologies in the industry from top vendors ton sessions introducing people to introductory concepts and languages.”
3. Open Source and Proprietary: products from Google, Microsoft, Oracle, and Sun Microsystems
Cost and Networking
The event is free and organized by volunteers. Lunch is provided both event days with a Saturday night Barbeque so that attendees and volunteers can network
Camp Schedule and Curriculum
Code Camp will offer over 100 sessions for attendees. For a list of sessions
For the opportunity to give back and actively network with the staff consider volunteering for this great event
Code Camp Manifesto: 6 Points
1. Code Camp is by and for the developer community
2. Free, always free
3. It is community developed material
4. No fluff – only code
5. Community ownership
6. Code Camp will never occur during working hours.
For More Information
Go to organizer Peter Kellner’s blog PeterKellner.net
Sausalito 2008 Festival Poster “Drive-Thru Gallery” Thomas Barbey
The Sausalito Art Festival in beautiful Sausalitio, California is the premiere Art Festival in the United States. As usual 2008 will be a banner year for music, entertainment, and artwork from a world class group of artist. Although I have been many times and seen talent like Santana, Los Lobos, War, Journey, the Starship, Sammy Hagar, Todd Rundgren, Jerry Garcia, Phil Lesch, Marshall Tucker Band, and the Doobie Brothers to name a few.
When: Labor Day Weekend Saturday Aug 30 9-6pm; Sunday Aug 31 9-6pm; and Monday Sept 1 9-5pm
Artists and Exhibitors: page
Musical Entertainment: page
One of my favorite performances from Sausalito 2007 was turned and burned in by Quicksilver Messenger Service:
This year the music is happening Sunday with Al Stewart, of “Year of the Cat” fame and 1970s pop icon, opening with Commander Cody, and headliner the Neville Brothers.
The following video is a tribute to my favorite cartoonist Phil Frank the creator of “Farley”; Phil passed away but remains the heart and soul of Sausalito to this day
Chicago Sun-Times and Beacon News published this deansguide article August 23, 2008
The good people at winecountryfestivals.com bring you the 2008 Bodega Bay Seafood, Art, and Wine Festival from beautiful-rustic Bodega Bay, California beginning August 23-24. This is without a doubt the best family value in summer entertainment in California. To make this possible, the festival has a number of great sponsors including Comcast, PG&E, and Kleenex. The sponsors page
Where: Watts Ranch 16855 Bodega Highway in Bodega Bay, California
Times: 10:00am-6:00pm Saturday and 10:00-5:00pm Sunday
Admission: Adults $12; Seniors over 60 (I’m not there yet) $10; Ages 12-16 $8 and under 12 is Free
Featured Artist page includes jewelry, dolls, painting, sculpture, and photography
Food Vendors list and here is a taste of their awesome menu:
Barbequed Oysters; Fish Tacos; Crab Cakes; Coconut Shrimp; Salmon Cakes and you get the idea!
Entertainment Main Stage on Saturday includes 4 bands with the headliner The Tommy Castro Band
Sunday’s Headliner Mitch Woods and His Rocket 88′s
And of course because it’s California there is going to be a whole lotta this: Smiling Faces
Van Jones is one of the most powerful men in the drive to bring economic relief and prosperity to inner city citizens through the new opportunities growing out of the green movement.
Green for All founder Van Jones and California State Senator Darrell Steinberg team up with the Commonwealth Club of California’s INFORUM division to present “Who’s Building The New Green Economy?” This discussion is characterized as a “timely discussion about the intersection of environment and economy.”
Real Estate Professionals and Affiliates
For any mortgage broker, Realtor, broker, builder, or construction affiliates this discussion will shed light on where the profits are going, the funding is being spent, and the niches that are being created.
The Commonwealth Club, commonwealthclub.org, 595 Market Street, San Francisco
Date and Time
Thursday July 24, 2008 6:00pm
Today’s CSIX Silicon Valley networking meeting was another example of why I am willing to drive 65 miles through three counties, 60+ minutes of mayhem similar to LA style freeway traffic in order to attend: it’s the “touches.” The personal nature of this meeting is it’s strength as people are given the opportunity to really meet, build relationships, and foster the ultimate connection-friendship.
Hamid Saadat, the sparkling presence with MC qualities and charismatic flair, provided much needed reminders of the importance of a clean-updated resume. He gave away 3 timely handouts: Top 10 Guidelines-Resume; The Eight Worst Things to Say in an Interview; and Networking, what not to do. This dovetailed perfectly with impromptu presenter Pamela Livingston of M Shift.
Pamela a woman of obvious boundless energy, provided what was the best most succinct tips of the day. She spoke of the importance of networking, the idea that nearly every waking moment of the day is an opportunity to network, and most important of all–give value and give often.
As the Vice President of Business Development for M Shift, Pamela related stories of her own employment history, her strategy in becoming more valuable to an organization, and a general approach to life that has a lets get it done together feeling.
Attendees with Expertise
1. Barbod Varjavandi- An irrepressible charismatic man with fantastic communication skills, Barbod’s expertise includes: Engineering Operations; Software Engineering; Product Management; Release Engineering; Information Technology. Barbod is the type of person every organization should have in order to prosper. Contact Barbod at firstname.lastname@example.org and 408 802-9120
2. Nobuko Isomata- Nobuko is such a joyful intelligent woman. She is fluent in English and Japanese and her background specialty is Asian Market Entry and Product Launch. Her consulting services, Market Entry Experts, provides a full array of market to market management and strategy. Contact Nobuko at email@example.com and (650) 922-1786 or 240-0460
3. Joyce Phillips-Joyce is a Human Resources expert with a focus on H.R. Management and Business Partnership. She is looking for an opportunity with a large company. Joyce has the savvy and warm intelligence to relate to any situation as well as substance factor. With companies facing an ongoing battle for human capital “assets”, Joyce would be key acquisition for any organization. Contact Joyce at firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Susan Siegel-Susan is an intelligent communicator who I only had a moment to connect with at our meeting. She impressed me as well spoken and hard working in her approach to business and networking. Susan can be contacted at email@example.com or (415) 602-1120
5. Bill Gascoyne-A man of substance he is an ASIC Engineer, a corporate technical trainer, and an amateur Physics lover. Bill is the type of guy who can train and relate to an audience of experts, hold their attention, and most important of all–be effective communicating complex theory in the most effective manner. Contact Bill at firstname.lastname@example.org and 408 497-5682
6. David Strom-David is a Technical Writer with expertise in API, software, and digital video. David’s strength is not only his substance factor but as an effective communicator through both the spoken and written word. Contact David at email@example.com and www.davestrom.com
7. Barb Kinnune-Barb is a Career Consultant with experience as a Personal Coach. Barb’s focus is talent management, career mapping, resume building, and networking. With experience in Silicon Valley, Barb would be an asset in order to move employees forward with a plan for success. Contact Barb at firstname.lastname@example.org
Finally me, Dean Guadagni, I have 23 years of business development experience. I am utilizing my substance factor as a blog consultant, free lance writer, and agent to author Susan Hanshaw. I am the Business Director of Inner Architect and Inner Architect Media. I represent Susan Hanshaw’s newly released book “Inner Architect: How To Build The Life You Were Designed To Live” our workshops, keynote speeches, and products are aimed at providing the platform for you to become your own life coach, identify your passions, and plot a new destiny built upon your passionate interests.
FoxBusiness.com published this deansguide article June 27, 2008
John Harper of theharperteam in Danville, California is the best example, template, for Realtors who understand the value of marketing yourself through public speaking. John is an expert, and I don’t use that term very often, in online networking aka social networking. Even more critical to his efforts is the fact that John is an expert in understanding the value of creating a public speaking platform within your business.
Learn How From John Harper
If you wish to understand how to become a go to source of free valuable information to your community as a workshop or keynote speaker, attend John’s presentation “Strategic Thinking About Your Career” Saturday June 28. The workshop is being held at “CPC” Job Seeker’s Group meeting from 9:30-11:30am at the Community Presbyterian Church ( 222 West El Pintado, Room #100 ) in Danville.
In my article for Active Rain “How To Win New Clients, Build A Contact List, And Become An Expert In A Niche: Employment Networking Groups Your Ticket To Leads And New Partnerships” I outline the benefits of providing keynote speaking-workshops to employment groups.
Benefits of Public Speaking
1. Create Awareness: help people know you and your business
2. Community Resource: Establish yourself as a resource of free valuable information to your community
3. Build a List: Build a client list from your audience
4. Remain in the Public Eye: Remind your community that you are in business and there to help them all the time
5. Hone your Speaking Skills: Practice makes perfect, builds confidence, and creates expertise
6. Blog Content: Now you have a place, speaking engagement, to bring your blog articles to life. In addition your appearances provide blog content
7. Network: Become a go to source to help others network within your community of contacts
Hamid Saadat was newly out of work and getting restless with his new routine at home. He had just been victim of a layoff during a brutal economic down turn in the Valley circa 2001.
Feeling like getting out, Hamid decided to wander over to a nearby neighborhood Chinese restaurant for some lunch and a change of pace. On his way to the restaurant, Hamid decided that if he could find someone to go to lunch with he might make a new networking connection.
Eying a man walking near the restaurant, Hamid asked “Can I buy you lunch?” With that innocuous question, he unwittingly launched a new career and provided Silicon Valley with one of it’s most powerful networking organizations in the process.
Hamid Saadat is Founder and Chairman of the Board of CSIX Connect. Under his leadership CSIX Connect has grown from 2 people at its inception in 2001, to more than 3000 members, who share job leads, job search resources and mutual support.
A veteran Silicon Valley player, Hamid has more than 20 years experience with companies like Cisco, Marconi, Network Equipment Technology and Calinet Networks. His expertise lies in Operations primarily in the networking industry.
Hamid holds his Masters Degree in Physics from the University of Oregon.
That Certain Something
Charisma is often a over used and abused word when describing people. In the case of Hamid Saadat it truly fits the man. A gregarious and joyful crowd pleaser, Hamid has that certain something so many people gravitate toward. He is a genuine, helpful, supportive power who’s goal is to help everyone find and land their desired job.
If you want to network, network effectively, create new friendships, and connect with Silicon Valley’s best then you should strongly consider paying CSIX a visit–it’s the place to be.
Reuters.com published this deansguide article May 12, 2008
A monster 7.8 earthquake rocked central China killing an estimated 9,000 people, leaving 900 students trapped inside a school, and wreaking havoc. The quake centered in the hilly Sichuan region of China, was felt as far away as Thailand . In Beijing, according to Associated Press writer Christopher Bodeen, “80 percent of the buildings had collapsed in ‘s Beichuan county after the quake.”
In addition, reports from state media out of China, report that a chemical plant in Shifang city had “cratered, burying hundreds of people and spilling more than 80 tons of toxic liquid ammonia from the site.”
Further reports are forth coming with the news a grim reminder of the realities faced in earthquake countries every day.