My partner Susan Hanshaw and I ran webinars, during the summer of ’09, that included establishing your presence on Twitter. We estimated that at least 90% of our attendees did not have the correct mindset before launching their Twitter presence.
Check Yourself Before Establishing Your Twitter Presence: Is This You?
- Beginning: eager to begin right away without any thought behind the process
- Fearful to Begin: afraid to begin right away-doesn’t know what to say
- Etiquette: no understanding of Twitter etiquette
- Functionality: No understanding of Twitter’s functionality as a business tool ie. CRM, sales, lead gen, broadcasting, breaking news announcements, internal communications, networking, etc.
- False Expertise: think accumulating large number of followers equates to “authority”, relevance, importance
- Spam Follower: begin following hundreds of people-companies immediately without a plan
- Follow to Follower Ratio: due to their lack of “follow” strategy they are out of balance with follow to followers ratio lopsided
- Research Preparation: never read the Twitter blog or any blog articles about Twitter aka research
- Lazy: thinks Twitter runs itself with minimal effort
- Noise Messaging: messages (tweets) are exclusively sales pitches, listing, and all about their service aka “noise”
- Lack of Commitment: will give Twitter 60 days to prove it’s worth and then abandon
You can’t benefit from a tool if you don’t understand how it works, functions, the etiquette, or where to start. You can benefit from Twitter if you understand how it works, how to attract the “right followers”, and what function you wish the tool to perform for you.